What is Personal Branding?
Personal Branding is about identifying and then communicating what makes you unique, relevant and different for your target audience, so you can reach your business goals. If you understand your strengths, skills, passions, and values, you can use this information to separate yourself from your competitors and really stand out.
Personal branding is very powerful – it sends a clear, consistent message about who you are and what you have to offer. A strong, authentic personal brand helps you become known for what you’re good at, sets you apart from everyone else, and can position you as a niche expert.
In today’s competitive market, you need to think of yourself as a brand. You are as much of a brand as your business is. Your customers want to buy from people they know, like and trust, the person behind the brand, the person they can feel connected too.
Your talent IS your brand! A great brand = you being different. Defining, creating and crafting your personal brand takes self awareness, guidance and some solid tools and strategies.
What are the benefits of a strong personal brand?
Personal Branding enhances your self-awareness. When you go through the Personal Branding process, you develop incredible self-understanding about what makes you unique, valuable, and powerful. It helps optimize and flaunt your strengths.
Personal Branding helps you clarify and reach your goals. Personal branding requires you to be crystal clear on what you want to achieve and helps you set goals to get there.
Personal Branding helps you create visibility and presence. Once you know what is unique and compelling about you, you can use that information to create visibility/presence.
Personal Branding is about differentiation. Personal Branding will help you differentiate yourself from everyone else who has your job title or who says they are in the same business as you.
Personal Branding offers more control and power. Personal Branding puts you in control of your business, the clients you have, the projects you work on, and how you want to deliver services.
Personal Branding creates wealth. Strong brands charge a premium for their products and services, and differentiated job seekers who know their value can command higher salaries.
Personal Branding offers resilience. Strong brands are successful despite challenges and downturns in the economy because they stand for something unique and are differentiated.
What is a Personal Brand?
- It’s making the best first impression when you walk into a room AND what people say about you when you leave. First Impressions Matter! First impressions are critical to how people judge us, perceive us and evaluate the BRAND OF YOU!.
- Your Personal Band is the consistent impression you make day after day. How do others perceive you? Here’s the thing: You no longer have anonymity. The internet has changed everything. What you do and say is shared on social networks. How you make people feel, their experience is shared. Bad experiences are shared twice as often as good experiences.
- Your Personal Brand is about how you make people feel. Often it has nothing to do with what you actually say or do, but how you made them feel.
- Your Personal Brand is in every email you write, every conversation you have and if you work in video it’s apparent when the camera is on.
- Your Personal Brand is taking the best parts of you – your unique qualities, values, attributes and putting them in the spotlight. Your ‘quirkiness’ can often be your best asset – the part of you that is really unique and will set you apart. Embrace it!
- A Personal Brand is about working out who you are and what makes you different AND THEN presenting that in a way that resonates with your consumers.
Personal Branding is for anyone who wants to:
- Stand out in a competitive marketplace
- Target the right audience; determine who you want to serve
- Build a long term business that derives its value from audience perception and customer loyalty
- Elevate yourself from company to companion, from product to passion
- Carve a place in your consumers heart and mind
Understanding what personal branding is and how utilizing this significant tool can propel you forward is key to your personal and professional success.
How do you stand out from everyone else in your industry, profession or business sector? It’s a crowded marketplace, you need to differentiate yourself and gain your competitive advantage. If you are able to successfully define and communicate who you are, add personality to your brand, and be authentic (be yourself), you will stand out.
Personal branding is a powerful tool at any point in a person’s career, from student to established professional. Want to learn more? If you are serious about crafting an authentic personal brand, then get in touch with Your Brand Power. www.yourbrandpower.com
Deb Alcadinho, is a Personal Branding Maven & Networking Strategist. As the founder of Your Brand Power Deb works with professional and business women on Personal Brand Development to help them stand out in a crowded marketplace and gain their authentic competitive edge. Westshore Women’s Business Network (WWBN) was founded by Deb connecting, inspiring and educating business women through networking events and professional development training sessions. She knows the value networking brings to your business development, career development and personal enrichment. She lives in beautiful Victoria, Canada and is a surrounded by a wholesome network of women and a bunch of testosterone with a supportive husband and 3 boys (4 if you include the male dog!)